Literary Vistas, a composite textbook for students at undergraduate level, is a combination of lessons in language and literature, designed to meet the requirements of students enrolled for second-year BSc courses. The first section presents a collection of ten literary pieces—scientific and general essays, short stories and poems—drawn from various cultural and social contexts. It includes J. B. S. Haldane, P B Shelley, William Wordsworth, Imtiaz Dharker and Rudyard Kipling, among many others. The second section addresses students’ language needs. It aims at helping students develop and hone their linguistic competence, vocabulary, grammar and written communication.
Ashok Chaskar, Chairman, Board of Studies in English, University of Pune.
Chetan Deshmane, Associate Professo, Department of English, HPT Arts and RYK Science College, Nashik, Maharashtra.
Bharati Khairnar, Head, Department of English, Maharaja Sayajirao Gaikwad Arts, Science and Commerce College, Malegaon, Maharashtra.
1. The Sun, the Planets and the Stars: C. Jones
2. The Scientific Point of View: J. B. S. Haldane
3. TV As Babysitter: Jerzy Kosinski
4. A Cup of Tea: Katherine Mansfield
5. With the Photographer: Stephen Leacock
6. Purdah (1): Imtiaz Dharker
7. A Psalm of Life: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
8. Ozymandias: Percy Bysshe Shelley
9. If—: Rudyard Kipling
10. Daffodils: William Wordsworth
Collocations: Words that go together
Commonly confused words
Simple, compound and complex sentences
Transformation of sentences
3. Communication Skills