This book grew out of the need to make available in English the work of contemporary Tamil playwrights. Two plays each of Na. Muthusami (Narkalikkarar and Kattiyakkaran)and S. Ramakrishnan (Aravaan and Urulum Paraigal) were chosen as part of a translation project undertaken by the Department of English, Stella Maris College, Chennai. Apart from the translations of these plays, the book includes critical essays on the plays as well as a comprehensive introduction to modern Tamil theatre.
The book aims to encourage people to look closely at literature in regional languages in India, both in the original and in translation, and to initiate discussions on the translation process.
1. A Note on the Translations
2. Tamil Theatre in the Twentieth Century:
3. Man in the Chair: Na. Muthusami
4. Kattiyakkaran: Na. Muthusami
5. Some Approaches to Reading Na. Muthusami’s Kattiyakkaran and Narkalikkarar: K. Deepa, S. Annapoorni and V. Shilpa
6. Aravaan: S. Ramakrishnan
7. Rolling Boulders: S. Ramakrishnan
8. Subaltern Voices: A Reading of Aravaan and Rolling Boulders: PadmaV. Mckertich and